The Benchmarks Genetics Way
Our ambition is to be the forefront of biosecurity in the aquaculture breeding industry
This is our way of understanding and implementing measures:
- Investing in our sites and people so that we live up to what we say
- We have invested in biosecure land-sites for production of our breeders, and have the largest on-land capacity for production of broodstock
- Target risk-based surveillance to maximize the chances of pathogen detection
- Our fish health personnel work closely across borders to exchange knowledge and competence on fish health-related matters
- Maintaining a close dialogue with different diagnostics laboratories and research institutions to rapidly implement new technologies and findings into our operations
What we offer
In order to be permitted to export live animals and our progeny, we have implemented a specific surveillance at our approved biosecure sites and compartments. This allows us to obtain free statuses for certain listed diseases like ISA and BKD.
Due to the design of our compartments, the risk of having an entire site closed down is highly reduced . The fact that we have several land-based sites also reduces the level of risk.
On our customer’s request, we offer a specific screening for relevant pathogens on the breeders used for the egg and fry production. For salmon, the industry standard is to use the germinal products, using ovarian fluid and milt for screening. This may serve as additional security to our general population screening.
Together with the dedicated production team, our global team of aquatic animal health professionals maintain fish health and welfare. The sites regularly conduct health controls and monitor closely in case of any events. We have developed specific fish health KPIs to follow the development over time and to identify areas of improvement.