Salary: Salary depending on qualifications and experience
Hours: Full time, working no less than 37½ hour per week
Location: Benchmark Genetics Norway HQ, Bergen, Norway (other location may be considered)
Reports to: Team leader for external services, Benchmark Genetics
Who we are
Benchmark Genetics is a global leader in aquaculture genetics and breeding with extensive experience from applied breeding programs for nearly 20 species across Europe, Americas, Asia, and Africa. Besides being a major provider of high-performing stocks of Atlantic salmon, marine shrimp (L. vannamei), and Nile tilapia to the global aquaculture sector, Benchmark Genetics supplies advanced technical genetic support services to numerous applied breeding programs operated by third parties. Read more about what we do at www.bmkgenetics.com.
Benchmark Genetics is a member of the Benchmark Group (www.benchmarkplc.com). This leading biotechnology company uniquely combines world-leading expertise and operations in Genetics, Advanced Nutrition, and Animal Health for sustainable and cost-effective food production.
This position offers a unique opening for a young and motivated candidate to get introduced to and initiate a career in a scientific field of vital importance for sustainable food production. The successful applicant will join the Breeding and Genetics team at Benchmark Genetics Norway. The position reports to the leader of a dedicated technical team working on developing and supervising optimized and cost-effective broodstock management and selective breeding programs to further strengthen Benchmark Genetics’ position as a leading provider of technical services to external clients globally. A crucial part of the role is to assist in developing and implementing integrated breeding programs reflecting each clients’ priorities and available resources.
Key Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
- Assist the technical team with various tasks related to developing and implementing applied broodstock management and selective breeding programs, including:
- active participation in creative and collaborative team processes
- contribution in simulation studies
- active communication with external clients during the planning and program implementation phases
- technical visits to client’s operations
Essential skills and qualifications:
- A university degree in a field of relevance for applied genetics work (e.g., animal breeding, genomics, statistics, computational science, bioinformatics)
- Creativity and ability to think outside the box
- Teamwork and problem-solving skills
- Genuine interest in sustainable aquaculture productions
- Communication skills and proficiency in spoken and written English
- Analytical skills
- Effective time management abilities
- Comfortable with working with clients in a variety of international locations
- Flexible and able to travel nationally and internationally as required
Application deadline: June 30, 2021
Submissions: Send cover letter, CV and contact details of two references
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for personal interviews.
For inquiries, please contact
Dr. Morten Rye, Director of Genetics
(e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Cell: +47 95213271), or
Dr. Jørn Thodesen, Business Manager – Applied Genetics Consultancy
(e-mail: email@example.com, Cell: +47 94798001).