Who we are
Benchmark Genetics is a global leader in aquaculture genetics and breeding with extensive experience from applied breeding programs for nearly 20 species across Europe, the Americas, Asia, and Africa. Besides being a significant provider of high-performing stocks of Atlantic salmon, marine shrimp (L. vannamei), and Nile tilapia to the global aquaculture sector, Benchmark Genetics supplies advanced technical genetic support services to numerous applied breeding programs operated by third parties. Read more about what we do at www.bmkgenetics.com.
Benchmark Genetics is a member of the Benchmark Group (www.benchmarkplc.com). This leading biotechnology company uniquely combines world-leading expertise and operations in Genetics, Advanced Nutrition, and Animal Health for sustainable and cost-effective food production.
Benchmark Genetics has two senior (alternatively one senior and one junior) geneticist positions open in our core technical team of experts in applied selective breeding. This team has members from across the Benchmark Genetics’ operations in Norway, Iceland, Chile, the USA, and Colombia. The successful applicants will join the breeding and genetics group at Benchmark Genetics Norway, located in Bergen. Alternative location may be considered under certain circumstances.
Key Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
- Technical deliveries to Benchmark’s in-house breeding programs for Atlantic salmon, marine shrimp, and tilapia
- Technical deliveries to support Benchmark Genetics’ services to external clients
- Conduct routine large scale genetic/genomic evaluations
- Contribute to R&D activities
Essential skills and qualifications:
- Ph.D. or Master’s degree in animal breeding, genomics, statistics, computational science, bioinformatics, or other relevant areas
- Preferred minimum 3 yrs. relevant work experience, preferably from industry application of selective breeding/applied genetic improvement programs
- Experience with statistical analysis and dbase software (R and SQL preferred)
- Experience from handling large scale genetic/genomic evaluations
- Experience in one or more scripting languages (e.g., R, Python, Perl)
- Excellent communication skill and high proficiency in spoken and written English
- Excellent analytical and teamwork skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- A self-starter comfortable with working with colleagues and clients in a variety of international locations
- Self-motivated and autonomous with effective time management abilities
- Flexible and able to travel nationally and occasionally internationally as required
Salary: Salary depending on qualifications and experience
Hours: Full time, working no less than 37½ hour per week
Location: Benchmark Genetics Norway HQ, Bergen, Norway (other location may be considered)
Reports to: Director of Genetics, Benchmark Genetics
Application deadline: July 20, 2021
Positions availability: Immediately
Submissions: Send cover letter, CV and contact details of two references to email@example.com.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for personal interviews.
For inquiries, please contact:
Dr. Morten Rye, Director of Genetics, Benchmark Genetics (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Cell: +47 95213271).